December 21, 2010

Eggnog Bread

I haven't been into baking and delivering cookies as much this year (partially because I eat half of them right out of the oven), but I'm giving away other food gifts and this bread is one of them.  You have to make it.  It doesn't take a whole lot of effort, as one batch makes up 5 mini pans.  I made 2 batches total.  The only extras I had to buy were the eggnog and the french vanilla pudding mix.  As Scott said, "It tastes like a giant, soft sugar cookie".  I found the pans for $1 each at Michael's.
Or you can do one loaf pan and keep it all for yourself.  There's a reason why I don't make things like this very often...

Holiday Eggnog Bread 
(I found the recipe at this website.)

2  eggs
1 1/4  cups sugar
1 3/4 cups eggnog
1/2  cup butter, melted
1/4  teaspoon nutmeg
1 - teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 - cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 - tsp salt
1 - 3.4 oz package instant french vanilla or vanilla pudding

1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 T. eggnog
(Whisk together in a small bowl to form a glaze.)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of loaf pan(s). Beat eggs and add sugar, eggnog, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add the flour mixture to the batter and mix well.

Add the instant pudding and blend. Pour into loaf pan(s). Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes*. Bread will be golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Drizzle eggnog glaze on top while still warm**.

*The original recipe says 20-25 minutes.  That must be in a convection oven.  I started checking at 30 minutes (in those tiny pans!) and I ended up pulling them out around 45 minutes.

**The original recipe also says to wait for the loaves to cool before glazing them.  If you pour it on while still warm, it soaks into the bread and keeps it extra moist.



1 comment:

Comments make my day!