May 17, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings in the Crockpot

I have this thing for biscuits.  It's an obsession really.  I make the biscuits, drizzle them with honey, and it's like dinner and dessert all in one. 

This is kind of like a scrumptious chicken pot pie right out of the crockpot.  I do love chicken pot pie. 



Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Combine the following in a saucepan, roux-style, and heat through until thickened:
4 T butter
6 T flour
1 cup milk (I used skim.)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 tsp poultry seasoning

2-3 chicken breasts, diced (I partially cooked these in a frying pan because the idea of raw chicken makes me a little neurotic.)

1 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed vegetables

1/2 of a large or 1 small diced onion

1 can of Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits (I used 8.)

Add the cream mixture, chicken, and vegetables to a 6-quart crockpot.  Cook on low for about 5 1/2 hours.  For the last 30 minutes, add the biscuits right on top.  Mine got brown on the top without having to vent the lid with a skewer or chopstick, but you might have to. 

2 comments:

  1. It is! I really love the combination of pastry/biscuits with chicken and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!