June 17, 2011

Homemade Tortilla Chips

We have a problem with tortilla chips around here.
They are so not good for you.
Yet, they are such a necessary evil because you can eat them with anything.
I've made a meal out of tortilla chips and hummus more times than I'm willing to admit.

When we run out of tortilla chips, I know we'll need them for something, so I always try to keep a bag on hand.

The 3 lb., $6 bag from Costco has literally lasted a month.  That was a good investment if you forget the fact that that means we ate a 3 lb. bag of tortilla chips.

I don't know if I just never paid attention to it in Pennsylvania, but tortilla chips are insanely expensive in Alaska.  I have no idea why, but they just are.  Usually $4.50-$5.00 for a 10-14 oz. bag and I'm not willing to pay that.

So I will put tortilla chips in the cart, whether I want them or not, if they are on sale.  "Sale" is usually $.99-$3.00.

I decided to take it up a notch and make my own.


They are baked, which we all know means "healthy and eat as much as you want", plus I could use up the whole-wheat tortillas before they started to go bad.  A lot of stuff goes bad when I don't pay attention.

Homemade Tortilla Chips

4 whole-wheat tortillas
Olive oil spray or Pam non-stick spray
Sea salt
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges.  Spray a baking sheet non-stick spray and spread the tortilla wedges over the sheet.  Mist the spray over the top of the wedges to provide a glue for the seasonings.  Sprinkle the salt, garlic powder, and onion powder over the wedges adjusting to your own taste.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until slightly crispy.  Serve with any dip.  I like them with hummus because they're more filling than regular tortilla chips or crackers and obviously healthier.


They were also pretty tasty with this dip from Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!