June 24, 2011

Make Your Own: Granola Bars

I made some awesome Peanut Butter Granola last week.  It was amazing with only 5 ingredients, so my next step was to try bars. (yes, i also think that i should buy stock in Quaker Oats.)

The more I read, and I read a lot, the more I realize that I've got to get the processed junk out of this house.

I had bought a box of like 80 granola bars at Costco awhile back for $10 and thought, "Wow, what a bargain!".  Yeah.  A bargain in processed sugar.

If I'm gonna double the sugar I eat each day, it's going to be through homemade cookies, you know?

I think we've all been tricked into thinking granola bars are healthy.  When did that begin?

Make Your Own:  Granola Bars

I took 3/4 a cup of trail mix and 1/4 a cup of the dark chocolate pomegranates and food-processed them together.  Use whatever you have.  I'm truly just trying to get rid of those pomegranate things.  I also had just a few chocolate chips left in that bag so I tossed them into the food processor with everything else.

1 cup trail mix
1/4 cup chocolate chips, if desired
3 cups old-fashioned oats

1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 t. vanilla

In a food processor, chop up the trail mix and chocolate chips.  Stir into a big mixing bowl with the oats.


In a small saucepan, melt the honey, peanut butter, and vanilla together on low heat.  Stir frequently.  It may start to boil, but just let it cook for a couple of minutes.

Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir well.  Press into an 8x8 pan, cover, and refrigerate for a couple of hours before cutting into bars.

Store cut bars in the refrigerator. 

3 comments:

  1. I like them because they are so much more filling than a regular granola bar and I actually know what is in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bars look yummy. We also like trying to find substitutes to replace all the processed stuff. These look good. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!