June 10, 2011

Pistachio Quinoa Salad

I tried a dish last week that had couscous with pistachios in it.  It was a.m.a.z.i.n.g.

I went to the store in search of couscous and couldn't find any (i probably didn't look very hard).  I bought the pistachios anyway because who doesn't like to work their way through a bag of those while watching The Voice on a Tuesday night?



Then I remembered that I still has some quinoa left from this.  I decided to give it a whirl. 

It's really good as a side dish because it's like pure health in a bowl.  I could see myself eating it for lunch with a side of ice cream or something completely unhealthy to balance it out. 

It's simple and it's easy.

A little bit of dry quinoa makes a lot of cooked quinoa.  Adjust accordingly.  One cup of dry quinoa was waaaayyy too much for two people, even with leftovers.  Next time, I'd do 1/2 cup of dry for just the two of us.  As written, this recipe will serve at least 4 adults.


Pistachio Quinoa Salad
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1/3 cup of slightly crushed pistachios

Boil the two cups of water and add in the quinoa.  Cover and let simmer until all of the water has been absorbed.  It will take between 12-15 minutes.

Fluff with a fork, and add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, and pistachios.  Stir well to incorporate the seasonings.

I liked this best at room temperature, instead of hot right off the stove.  Scott enjoyed it too.  We'll definitely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!