June 7, 2011

Slow-Cooker French Onion Soup

My giant bag o' onions was going bad.  That's why I made this soup. 

Now that I have to buy my own groceries, I'm very particular about what goes to waste.

(wow, kristin, how selfish does that sound?)

I actually freeze jars of spaghetti sauce in smaller tupperware containers to use for pizza and pasta because I know that if that Prego jar sits in the fridge for more than a week, it will grow mold.  I've got black beans, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk in the freezer also.  The freezer is my friend. 

But we really enjoy French Onion Soup.  The Progresso cans used to be $1.00 at the Commissary.  They've gone up to $2.00.  Yeah, I'm not going to buy that anymore.  Especially when I can make it from scratch for free with ingredients I'd be getting ready to throw away anyway.  How convenient.

I made my own croutons and used mozzarella..


Go to A Year of Slow-Cooking for the recipe.  I don't think this can be messed up!  I doubled it by 50% so we'd have leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!