June 30, 2011

Stove-top Macaroni and Cheese


This is, to date, my favorite macaroni and cheese that I've made.

While restaurants typically have good macaroni and cheese also, you never know what's in it.

When you think of all the stuff that can be in food you order at a restaurant, it's kind of scary.

(Don't mind me.  Eat your McDonald's.  I've recently taken on this "no-processed-or-packaged-foods" thing because I started to gain weight and I didn't know why.  Now I realize it was the fruit snacks that I was shoving in my mouth every afternoon as I counted down the seconds of the school day.)   

(Seriously.  It's not you.  It's me.)

This macaroni and cheese has NO butter or flour in it.  It has evaporated milk and lots o' flavor from a few "secret" ingredients that Rachael Ray always taught me to put in macaroni and cheese.

Oh, and the mess is drastically reduced, as it is cooked in one pan on the stove-top.

That's good for messy cooks like me. 






Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese

1 12-oz. can evaporated milk (divided)
3 1/2 cups water
3 cups short-cut pasta (I used penne.)
1 t. salt

2 t. cornstarch
1 teaspoon Grey Poupon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon hot sauce

1/2 cup cheddar
1/2 cup mexican blend
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan

In a deep 12-inch skillet, add the water, 1 cup of evaporated milk, salt, and pasta.  Turn it on high and let it come to a boil.  Stir frequently.  Once it starts to boil, keep it on medium-high heat and cook until the noodles are done.  Mine took about 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, 1/2 cup of evaporated milk, Grey Poupon, nutmeg, and hot sauce.  Add to the noodle mixture and let it cook together for a few minutes to thicken.

Take off the heat and stir in the cheeses.  It will thickens as it sits, so don't panic if the sauce looks a little thin.  I topped mine off with Tony's Creole Seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!