June 27, 2011

Whole Wheat White Pizza

Hello, nemesis.

Yeast is the enemy.  I can't ever seem to get it to work for me.  Not in the least little bit.

Attempt #1 failed miserable.  I let that stuff sit for THREE hours.  I got nothing.


Attempt #2 (not pictured) appeared to fail miserably.

I know when I'm beaten.  Off to the store I went for packaged pizza crust.  When I returned, I found pizza dough that had magically risen in my absence.  So much for "quick pizza crust".  An hour and twenty minutes later, I was ready to begin my pizza. 

I'm proud of myself for making my own pizza crust.  That's a new accomplishment and it's something I might never have gotten around to if it weren't for wanting to try new recipes.

I can't even explain in words how delectable this pizza was.  I attribute a lot to the crust, but I think it was the pesto and the Parmesan cheese that made it completely irresistible.  


Who knows?  Maybe you'll see some homemade bread on here one of these days...


Whole Wheat White Pizza
Crust:  

One 1/4 oz. packet yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Olive oil

For Pizza:

1/2 cup Alfredo Sauce (I used this recipe.)
1/4 cup pesto 
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Dissolve the yeast in warm water and add the sugar.  Let sit for about 10 minutes until it's foamy.  (I don't know the definition of "foamy" when it comes to yeast.  Mine looked like this after 12 minutes so I gave it a go.)

Mix the yeast mixture with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.  Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a floured surface until no longer sticky.

Coat the dough with a bit of olive oil and place in a large bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and a towel.  Set in a warm place (back of the stove) for an amount of time.
*I say  "an amount of time" because the recipe I found said it should take 5 minutes.  Mine took over an hour.  What can I say..I gave it a shot.  If you're any good at baking with yeast, you shouldn't have a problem.  


Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  When the dough is ready, grease a pan with olive oil or Crisco and spread the dough (I used a 12 inch pizza pan).  

Bake for 8 minutes to firm up the crust (Once again, I always do this.  You may not.  It's okay.)


Take out of the oven and spread the Alfredo sauce, then the pesto.  Add the sliced tomato and top with cheese.  Bake for another 10 minutes.  Broil for a few minutes so it gets brown and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!