July 29, 2011

Chocolate-Chip Mini Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

In case you missed it a couple of Saturdays ago, this recipe and my blog were featured at Something Swanky:  (DIY) Specialty Cupcakes & Desserts (Yay me!). 

There are few things in life that are better than melt-y chocolate chips nestled within a cookie or cake. 

Very few.

Maybe getting a job that you really really really want?

Maybe getting married?

Maybe combining the "getting married feeling" with the "getting the job you really really really want" feeling?

I can't tell you how many times I have baked myself a tray of chocolate chip cookies while home alone...only to eat them all.  Really now.  What did I think was going to happen?  That I would eat one and call it a night?  Yeah, right. 

Anyway...melted chocolate chips.  A good thing.  You must try at least one of these cupcakes while it's still warm. 

I make my cookies from scratch 99.9% of the time, so I figured that a cake mix for cupcakes isn't going to hurt anything.  Especially if you put chocolate chips in it.

I always use applesauce for half of the oil or butter that is called for in a boxed cake mix.  It keeps the cake much moister than it would otherwise be.

The frosting was delightful when eaten from a spoon.  It's good on the cupcakes too.

Chocolate-Chip Mini Cupcakes

1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker's Devil's Food)
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I tend to use semi-sweet, but whatever floats your boat.)
2 T. flour

Mix together the above cake ingredients according to the package directions.  Stir the chocolate chips and flour together in a small bowl (this prevents "sink-age").  Add chocolate chips to the batter.

Spray mini-muffin pan with non-stick spray (or use mini-muffin liners) and spoon in batter.  Fill each cup a little over 3/4 of the way.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.  Let cool a bit before removing cupcakes to a wire rack.

 Casualties and extras.  Oh no.  I'll have to eat you all.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1/4 cup butter, softened (half a stick)
1 t. vanilla
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T. milk, as needed

Cream everything together with an electric mixer or stand mixer.  You may need more or less sugar and milk depending on the consistency you want. 

Use a Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off to pipe onto cupcakes.  It's super-easy to pipe on; just do a little swirl around the top of the cupcake.  No fancy tips needed!

Also being shared at:
Sweet Tooth Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!