July 11, 2011

Make Your Own: Peppermint Patties



How do you feel about York Peppermint Patties?

My brother loves them.  Like, I'm pretty sure the last pennies of whatever money he had saved up as a child would have been spent on York Peppermint Patties, Birch Beer, and Cheese Puffs. 

Sure, I liked them.  But I didn't like them that much.  I was the one buying Doritos and paperback Sweet Valley books with my dollars.

However, I have stumbled upon a homemade recipe for peppermint patties that blows the York ones out of the water.  I can't explain how decadent these are.  They are better than any kind of fudge I've ever had.  In fact, these are what I would give out instead of fudge if I were giving a homemade candy gift.

I would love to get a tin of these on a holiday.  Or, you know, a Tuesday afternoon. 


Homemade Peppermint Patties
from How Sweet It Is

2 cups powdered sugar
1 T. butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half (i used half-and-half)
1/4 t. vegetable oil
1/4 t. peppermint extract
1/4 t. vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix everything but the chocolate chips with an electric mixer until it's smooth and creamy.  Refrigerate for about an hour to let it set.

Then, roll chunks of the peppermint mixture into small balls (about 1/2 inch diameter) and place on a baking sheet (i put them on wax paper on a baking sheet).  Flatten each ball down into a patty (i used the bottom of a glass dipped in warm water so they wouldn't stick).  Freeze for at least an hour, preferably more if you can wait.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, and dip each patty into the chocolate to cover all sides.  Put them back onto the wax-papered baking sheet and freeze again for at least an hour.

I stored these in a Tupperware container in the freezer, and then in the fridge, until I had successfully made my way through them and eaten every single one.  It took about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!