July 19, 2011

Rhubarb Jam

I have this problem.


It starts with a "rhu" and ends with a "barb".

Some may think this is definitely not a problem.


I would like to invite those people to come take the problem off of my hands.



It's a problem to me because I don't really like rhubarb.  I don't dislike it.  I just can't get the idea that it's the same texture as celery out of my head.  Something the texture of celery has no place in a dessert!

However, there are many of you out there that adore rhubarb.


If you are one of these rhubarb-loving people:

After you fly to Alaska, rent a hotel, rent a car, and drive to my house, you are more than welcome to as much rhubarb as your little heart desires.

You're welcome.

After you've procured your rhubarb from my house (again, in Alaska), you can have UPS package it up to ship it to your house.  Once you fly home and the UPS package of rhubarb is delivered to you, you should make this jam.

It's surprisingly sweet and tasty.  Almost strawberry-like. 


Rhubarb Jam
makes 2 pints

8 cups rhubarb (fresh or frozen), diced
1/3 cup orange juice
1 t. orange zest OR orange extract
1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, combine all of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Then, cover, turn to low heat and simmer for 45 minutes.



If you really do love rhubarb, I'm sure that the cost and inconvenience of traveling to Alaska will definitely be outweighed by the fact that you have all the rhubarb you want.


Cast Party Wednesday




3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great way to use up that rhubarb. I am one of those people who would love to have this problem. I've been thinking of planting a rhubarb plant forever and just haven't done it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love rhubarb and my mom made many recipes using it including pies, crisp and jellies come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoy my rhubarb recipe. You both have such cute blogs :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!