July 24, 2011

Simple Slow-Cooked Rice Pudding


This is easy rice pudding.  Once the rice was cooked, it took me 2 1/2 minutes to put together and less than 2 hours to cook to perfection in the slow-cooker.  While it was cooking, I could go about my business.  I like low-maintenance. 

Do you know what's not easy and low-maintenance?  The Army.  They can't just have a formal ball for soldiers and wives.  They have to make it a masquerade ball.  I'm looking forward to paying not only $50 for a ticket in, but searching all of Anchorage for a mask and then carrying it around all night.

Said ball is on a school night.

The Army also decided that a simple night out on the town wasn't festive enough.  Someone thought it would be fun to require adult Army officers to dress up in superhero costumes.  And it wasn't Halloween. 

I was disappointed that I wasn't allowed to go.  After all, I went all-out for my classroom Halloween party last year.  After much deliberation, I wore a sparkly  cowboy hat. 

Don't worry though!  Childcare has been arranged for the ball!  Oh.  Wait, I don't have kids so I can't make use of the one free service that the Army does provide.  Huh. 

Anyway, now that I got all of that off of my chest*, we can move on to something that is more pleasant than thinking about the Army.  Rice Pudding.  Easy rice pudding that you don't even have to stir.

Enjoy!


Simple Slow-Cooked Rice Pudding
adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly

2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
1-12oz. can of evaporated milk
1 cup skim milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
2 t. vanilla

Spray the stoneware with non-stick spray.  Combine everything in a 4-quart slow-cooker.  Mix until incorporated.

Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours or low for 3 hours.  I did 1 hour on high and 1 hour on low.


...then I promptly ate 2 platefuls, packaged it up, and sent the rest on the bear-hunting trip.  No need to eat a crockpot full of rice pudding.  Which is exactly what would've happened.



*I'm very sorry if I give off a vibe that says "i like to complain".  My goal when first starting this blog over a year ago was to make others aware of what life in the military is actually like.  Being an Army wife means these are the little complications that I deal with day in and day out.  Along with deployments and trainings that take my husband away from me, I think that the military inconveniences families in ways that don't make the evening news.  Maybe that's just my personal opinion.  While I've discovered that my passion is baking and cooking, I feel that I can share anecdotes of my life while sharing my experiences in the kitchen. Irony, to me, is funny so I share it.  And, thank you for reading.  You have no idea how much I appreciate it :)


Shared at 
Button

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to use your slow cooker - for desserts. Sounds comforting and delicious. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!