July 14, 2011

Steak Fajita Quesadillas in the Crockpot

Well, obviously I didn't grill quesadillas in the crockpot.

Or did I?

No, I didn't.

I was going to make fajitas.

Then I got a little lazy.  Fajitas are one of those things you should just order at Chili's where they can bring you all of the fixins' and you don't need to worry about cleaning up the kitchen.

Chili's has always been one of my favorites for Mexican-like cuisine.  Sure, it's not completely authentic.  But the "authentic" places around here taste weird anyway.

This is probably my "most favorite-est" Mexican restaurant.  The margaritas are scrumptious.  I have limited access to Big Azz Mad Mex Margaritas these days, though.

This place boasts that they've been voted "best margarita" for the last 22 years.  I've tried their margaritas.  There must not be any a lot of competition.


Ouch.  I'm being kind of harsh.  I'll apologize"I'm sorry for you that your margaritas taste like Kool-Aid."

Sorry.  Margaritas are a deeply personal experience.  I like good ones.  I know you do too. :)



Steak Fajita Quesadillas
makes enough for 4-6 quesadillas
adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

1 pound flank steak, very thinly sliced (can be frozen or thawed)
1 pack fajita or taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced

Shredded cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese
Flour or corn tortillas

Salsa
Sour cream
Lime
Guacamole
any other toppings you desire

*This can easily be doubled in a 4-quart Crockpot

Put steak, seasoning, water, onion, and pepper in Crockpot.

Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.  I cooked mine on high for 4 hours and low for another hour or so.

In an omelet pan over medium heat, put down one tortilla.  Layer on 1/4 a cup of shredded cheese and then a ladle-ful of steak mixture.  Top with just a sprinkling of cheese for glue and then then another tortilla.  After about 3 minutes, carefully flip.  Cheese should be mostly melted by now.  When the second side is slightly browned, it's done.



Flip onto a plate and, for easy slicing, use a pizza cutter.




and
friday potluck guest host girlichef

2 comments:

  1. I'm always up for a quesadilla...love the filling :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. Looks. Amazing. I love this idea! I like your widget. It is always tempting me with delicious things.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!