December 26, 2011

Spinach Pesto

Thank you to those of you who left a nice comment after a baking disaster and the poor-pitiful-me mood that resulted from it.  Your comments made me smile!

----------------------------------
Since you're probably full of sick of cookies, candy, and fudge, here's a healthy dinner!

I've talked about how we enjoy jarred pesto.  And how we're the kind of people who buy and eat jarred pesto instead of being all Rachael Ray-ish and stopping at the Italian market on our way home from work each day.

^As if that were even an option.

I toss jarred pesto into my tomato sauces and veggie pasta tosses and put it on my pizza.

I saw this recipe for spinach pesto awhile back.  I bookmarked it.  Looked at it regularly.  And never made it.

Why?

Because I don't can't won't buy fresh basil.  And I was worried about the flavor using all spinach would impart.  I can't grow fresh basil here, so that would lead to me pay about $10 for a cup of it at the grocery store.  I can't do it.  I might as well just go out to an Italian restaurant if I want pesto that badly, right?

So this is my adaptation.  It was absolutely delicious and rich-tasting without the expense.  We devoured it straight out of the serving dish.  While standing at the counter.

I guess we're those kind of people too.


Spinach Pesto
makes 2 servings

3 cups fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
1 T. jarred pesto
1/4 cup walnuts
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
olive oil
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

To taste:
garlic powder
onion powder
salt

In a food processor, combine the spinach, pesto, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, and cheese.  Pulse until combined.  Scrape down the sides with a spatula.  Slowly drizzle in olive oil until the pesto comes to your desired consistency.  Taste and then add garlic powder, onion powder, or salt if needed.  I think I did a sprinkle of all three.

Serve over hot cooked pasta. 

Shared at:  Tuesday Talent Show 
The Stuff of Success
These Chicks Cooked


1 comment:

  1. Yum, this sounds delicious, Kristin! I love fresh pesto and am blessed to be able to grow basil here (you might be successful growing it indoors). I won't pay the market prices for it either!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!