June 16, 2014

Cookie Butter Granola (and a Moving Tip)


One of the best decisions we made when packing up the house in Missouri was to pack the food we had in our house.  All refrigerated/frozen items went into the deep freeze freezer and Scott hauled it 12 hours to Colorado.  All dry goods went into boxes and tubs.  Because one of the hardest parts of starting over in a new house is  making that first (very expensive) grocery trip, I wanted to avoid that.

Plus we had a lot of frozen duck in the freezer and Scott didn't want it to go to waste.

I was sure to bring my giant jar of natural Jif peanut butter (because peanut butter is both expensive and delicious), but I also had a jar of cookie butter hanging around.  I don't know why I buy that stuff.  I rarely eat it and only ever use it to bake with.  This jar had been in the cupboard since Christmas.

Since I eat homemade granola almost everyday, this gave me an idea.  I've been making peanut butter granola most weeks.  I make about 3-4 cups and then that lasts me for breakfast and snacks.  It's particularly tasty with coconut milk.

On this day, we were almost out of peanut butter, so I ended up using 1/3 cup of cookie butter (the chocolate swirled kind) and peanut butter.  The result was a grown-up, more filling version of Cocoa Pebbles.  

Sounds good, right?

If you don't have the chocolate swirled cookie butter (from Trader Joe's), you can use regularly cookie butter or biscoff.  Or maybe just add in some cocoa powder?  Sweetened or unsweetened, it's up to you!

Cookie Butter Granola

1/3 cup cookie butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup canola oil
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
3 cups to 4 cups of old-fashioned oats (depending on the consistency you want..and 3 cups first, stir, and then add more if you desire)

Melt the cookie butter and peanut butter together in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  Stir in the oil, vanilla, salt, and oats.  Mix well.

Spread onto a cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes.

Let cool and store in an airtight container for up to a week.  I recommend it with coconut milk (the kind the you buy in a refrigerated carton).

4 comments:

  1. We always try to take as much food as we can with us when we move, of course it depends on how long the trip is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I've moved I've brought those items with us as well. Just seems silly to buy if you don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will definitely be bringing our food... but Mike won't be there until a month and a half after me. I think this means one of us will be eating every meal at Panera for 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Sounds good. I LOVE Cookie Butter and eat it by the spoon full when I buy it. Dangerous!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!