October 30, 2014

Stuff and Things 10/30




Every week is going to have to have a Walking Dead comment.  What'd you think of Sunday's episode?  I think we can say that badass Rick is officially back and I couldn't be happier.  Thank goodness.  Every Monday, I walk into the lounge at lunchtime and there's 3 of us who simultaneously cover our ears and say "NO!" because we're afraid someone will spoil the episode for us if we haven't seen it yet.  THAT is community.  Finally.

Speaking of episodes, I've been listening to the This American Life Serial podcast.  Fascinating.  I'm confused though:  What's the name of the podcast vs. what's the name of the series?  Is the series This American Life?  What's the name of the "show" in that case?


I intentionally subscribed to it awhile back and haven't started listening until this week.  Just so I can do more than one episode at once.  It's like Netflix in podcast-form. 

Speaking of listening, I just finished what I can officially call one of my top 5 books of 2014.  Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.  I'll have more in my monthly book review next week, but let's just say that I HATED this book when I started it and was annoyed that I'd wasted an audible credit on it (I bought 3 credits for $30 and that was totally worth it…think how much you spend on books…) and then…I got sucked in.  And I couldn't stop.  I listened to the whole thing last weekend on my computer while I was painting and doing stuff around the house.  By the time it was over, I was ready to move into a dorm room and write some fan fiction.  HIGHLY recommended.  I mean it.




I've applied to Blogher a couple of times now.  Not because I feel I deserve some sort of label or category or think it's time to monetize, but because I've been blogging consistently for a couple of years now and it'd be nice to belong to a network.  I know there are some legitimate blogs that are part of the Blogher network.  However, I've been rejected twice.  Maybe I'm too polarizing and negative.  Maybe there's too many dog pictures.  Who knows.  But every once in awhile I stumble across a Blogher blog and I am appalled.  A lot of them read like a junior high girl's diary.  They contribute no quality, information, or voice to the internet. Maybe my 4th graders could apply to be part of the network?  Way to go, Blogher.  You are giving yourself very little credibility and I can't take you seriously anymore. 


Lastly, this is every single day.  No wonder I keep skipping Wednesdays (and sometimes Fridays) when it comes to blogging.

This how you're supposed to teach 34-9=25 and 7 year olds are supposed to be able to explain it in this way, in writing.  Here's the whole story but the video didn't quite work when I tried it.  It was on the news last night.







14 comments:

  1. That math thing literally made my head hurt. Blogher...let's see. Okay. I applied just because back at the beginning of the year, but wasn't surprised when I got rejected because my blog is pretty small. About two months ago, they contacted me out of nowhere saying that they now had a spot for me. I have no idea how or why. I did notice a buttload of people becoming part of the network at that time, so how knows. I agree that I see a lot of blogs that are a part of the network and think...seriously? But who knows their rhyme or reason. I'd be willing to bet you'll get a spot soon. Don't get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been consistently rejected by Blogher and I unashamedly think my own blog is awesome...so, you're not alone. I'm guessing they're primarily looking at traffic, but maybe not because I would guess that some of the blogher blogs I've seen have a lot less traffic than I do. I don't understand the system, so now I just ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen infographics on that common core stuff and just can't fathom how that's intuitive at all to kids. Yeeesh... you poor thing!

    Also got rejected by BlogHer (though I totally get that I'm too inconsistent). Also have seen other BlogHer-affiliated blogs and thought, "huh?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Blogher is too interested in women who might have something to say and might say it without caring what other people think of it. It's not a group that's synonymous with independent thought.

    Common core...no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been rejected by blogher too. I am part of their social media group though - they pay $50 for 8 tweets / fb posts. It's not bad for some extra $. As for the math thing...my husband is at my kids' school right now learning how to do the new math! ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is how my daughter is learning math and it drives me crazy.

    I liked Fangirl a whole lot, but the interludes of fan fiction got on my nerves after awhile. Taking that out, it was a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That math stuff is crazy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That math thing...no. Just no. Absolutely asinine.

    I am glad to hear that badass Rick comes back at some point, even though I won't get to see him for a year. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The math stuff is so horrific! I am glad I am not in elementary school or teaching it. These poor kids are being tortured!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you listened to Rowell's Eleanor & Park?!!! I listened to that one on audio first and loved it! Was a bit disappointed listening to Fangirl after that one.

    As for Common Core....can't stand it. Have no idea how to help my two kids with their math homework and I used to be a teacher!

    Will have to check out Blogher in the future. My blog is only a month old so I'm very new to this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I applied to Blogher once and it was at least a year ago. Nothing. Honestly though, I feel like the people with the annoying ads that get big when you scroll over them and randomly appear on the bottom of pictures are all Blogher members and that's where their crap ads come from. Maybe not, but I don't want all those annoying ads on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I applied to BlogHer when I was getting good and popular, and rejected. Ah well. I applied to other things like Clever Girls and got accepted just fine.

    That math makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To that math picture, I say....what?!?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try GLAM or The Blogger Network. I have no premium right now, but I was on GLAM and liked it and a lot of people say they like TBN!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!