Cilantro chicken, cilantro quinoa (we love this stuff!), and broccoli slaw
Now, what food movements can I just not get behind? Well, there's a few. I've noticed that people are really grasping at straws trying to get the newest and bestest out on the Pinterest before everyone else. Here's some trends that I don't think I'll be trying anytime soon.
1. Baking with Cereal. Rice Krispy treats? Good. Fruit Loops on a cupcake? No. Using a Chex cereal or Rice Krispy cereal as a base is very different from using it as the flavor. If I wanted Fruity Pebble-flavored blondies, I would….wait. Never mind. I would never, ever want Fruity Pebble flavored blondies.
Along the same lines…
2. Baking with fruity/sour candy. Sour Patch Kids on a cupcake? GOOD. GOD. NO. Just no. That's gross. Skittles Fudge? WHY? I saw Nerd ice cream at a restaurant once 15 years ago. I'm still wondering who would've ordered that. I know I haven't been baking a whole lot lately, but I can promise, you'll never see such things in my kitchen.
3. Paleo noodles. I've tried the zucchini noodle thing. We've done the spaghetti squash. I just don't like it. I don't often crave noodles, but when I do, I want a giant plate of spicy peanut noodles. With maybe some zucchini mixed in. A plateful of zucchini has about 48 calories and probably won't satiate your hunger unless you pair it with a lot of protein.
4. The plethora of smoothie recipes that are out there on the internet. You don't need 18 variations on a smoothie. I have a spinach/fruit recipe (recently I've started adding flax) and a banana/PB recipe. Especially because, generally, you won't have the ingredients on hand for the particular one you choose that day…and then your smoothie plans will be scrapped. Nope. You throw whatever you want into the blender, and you make a smoothie anyway. Do you really need a recipe? I only share my two go-to recipes with you (a lot) because they are something I make almost everyday. Please stop pinning smoothie recipes and captioning "Why didn't I think of this?!?!". I promise: You don't need a Pin to make a smoothie. I have faith in you. You can do it.
5. Dessert pancakes. Cake Batter Pancakes? Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese
Don't masquerade your breakfast as a birthday cake. I saw "Chocolate Pancakes" yesterday.
Two ingredients: Chocolate cake mix and milk.
No. That is chocolate cake. There is no pancake about it.
Your turn! What food trend are you absolutely opposed to?