December 22, 2010

Soft Sugar Cookies


{Edited with new pictures on December 8, 2013}
-I've now made these for 3 years.  They've yet to disappoint.  If you're looking for THE BEST SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE, this might be it.  
-They are not overly soft and won't fall apart like the Lofthouse version.  They are sturdy enough for decorating and always hold their shape.
-I did, in fact, find the recipe on allrecipes.com, but I don't remember what recipe it was because I didn't link it properly back in the day #newbloggerproblem.  My apologies for that.

I've been on a quest for soft sugar cookies.  I'll eat them if they taste good, however, they're not my first choice.  These taste really good!  The dough seemed a little stiff, even as I was rolling it and cutting it, and I had my doubts.  But that really just made it much easier to work with.  I cut out circles because I wanted to try decorating them like snowflakes, but all kinds of cut-outs would probably work because it's a sturdy dough.  I've eaten at least 20 in the last two days.  These are the times that I really miss not having family around to practice on. 

Soft Sugar Cookies (from allrecipes.com)
4 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream (I used light.)

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in the egg, vanilla and sour cream until well blended. 
Stir in the sifted ingredients. 
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 
Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. If you let them get golden brown, they won't be as soft.  Pull them out at 10 minutes at the most (at least that's the way it works in my oven). Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  After they cool a bit, decorate.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!