April 8, 2011

Tollhouse Pie

I've been wanting to make this for awhile.  But, as always, if I'm baking, it's really only for two people.  And I didn't want to force a whole pie of cookie dough on just us.  So I put it off...and put it off...and put it off.  Finally, I'd had enough.  I had a pie crust in the fridge so I decided it was time to try it.


I was slightly disappointed.

When Scott asked me how it was, I said, "It needs salt."  Clearly, he thought I was insane.  It's not a piece of chicken, after all!  I had a hard time explaining myself, but after he tried it, he said, "It DOES need salt!"

I was right.  I thought the ingredient list looked a little sparse.  So, were I to make this again (and I probably will), I'm going to use these directions (which I am currently making up) instead of this recipe.  OH, and really now, it does not need 3/4 a cup of butter.  At least, I don't think it does.  The butter got under the pie crust somehow and was bubbling in the bottom of the dish.  It made me feel unhealthy just looking at it.  I would use 1/2 cup.  (Oh and by the way, if anyone tries this new made up recipe that I am posting here, please let me know how it goes..)


Tollhouse Pie
1 unbaked pie crust
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup chocolate chips

Beat the two eggs with a mixer until frothy.  Add in the flour, sugars, vanilla, and salt slowly while mixing.  (A Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer would be ideal here...if I had one.)  When it's all combined and fluffy, mix in the butter.  When that is well combined, stir in the chocolate chips.  Pour the mixture into the pie crust, which should be in a 9" pie pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for about 55 minutes.  A butter knife should come out clean in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!