May 31, 2011

Bruschetta

We love this as an appetizer, side dish, or, in my case, lunch with a mojito on the side. 

Bread.  Tomato.  Oil.  Cheese.  Basil. 

Please don't judge my dried basil.  Fresh was nowhere to be found at the store I was in.  I suppose I could've gone to another store...

But then I saw the fresh mint, and I chose to spend my "fresh herb allottment money" on mint for mojitos. 

Also, the Roma tomatoes did not look pretty.  No wonder they were on sale.  I got another kind, but Roma works/tastes best.



Bruschetta

2 Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup (divided) olive oil
1 t. basalmic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, grated
15   -3/4 inch slices of French baguette (or you can use regular French bread, preferably day-old)
Shredded mozzarella
Salt/pepper

Once the bread it sliced, lay it on a cookie sheet and broil until the top is just toasty/firm.  Flip the bread and drizzle a little olive oil on the non-toasted side.  Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.  Broil until the oil has melted down into the cracks and the top is golden brown.

Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine the finely diced tomatoes, grated garlic, dried basil, basalmic vinegar, and the rest of the olive oil.

When the bread is toasted, top each slice with a spoonful of the tomato mixture.  Top with some shredded mozzarella.

Broil for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbly.  (I've noticed that sometimes setting a timer for a minute or two at a time will remind you not to burn the bread...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!