June 16, 2011

Coconut Lime Rice Pudding

 
I love grocery shopping.  I love grocery shopping in the middle of the day.  In the middle of the week. 

The stores are empty. 

The reason I love it is because I have time to look around. 


So on a Tuesday, as I was leisurely making my way up the "Ethnic Food Aisle", I came across this...

I've been thinking about rice pudding a lot lately.  More than any normal person should, actually.
This is particularly odd for me because I'm pretty sure I had never really had rice pudding before I met Scott.  Or if I did, it left absolutely no impression on me.

I put that coconut milk together with this.  Which is one of our favorite things ever.

 I got that 5 lb. bag of jasmine rice for $5. It should last for at least a month, what with our jasmine rice eating habits.

I also have an obsession with lime-y tropical drinks.
Tropical drinks...rice pudding...tropical drinks...rice pudding...


I combined these two thoughts that constantly seem to plague my mind.  

Coconut Lime Rice Pudding

1/2 cup cream of coconut*
1 cup skim milk
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1 t. lime zest
1/4 cup sugar

1 cup jasmine rice
1 1/2 cups water

 Boil the water, add the rice, cover, and set it on the lowest possible heat.  Cook for about 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.

Add the milks, cinnamon, vanilla, lime zest, and sugar.  Stir well.

Keep it on the lowest heat possible, cover, and let the pudding cook for about 10-15 minutes.  It will start to boil, so stir frequently.  Mine looked done at about the 12 minute mark.  Stir well.  It will thicken as it sits.

*When you open the can of cream of coconut, you'll notice white cream at the top.  I poured the entire can of milk and cream into a bowl, stirred it up and took my half cup measurement out of that.  I froze the rest in a Tupperware container. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!