August 7, 2011

Grilled Steak Salad

So there's a mountain in Palmer, Alaska called Lazy Mountain.


This is not a mountain for the lazy.  I'm pretty sure the lazy would die, actually.  The out-of-shape would flounder.  And then probably die too.  Because I'm pretty sure my feet almost died.  And my ankles.  And my calves.  It was not a pleasant experience and I can guarantee you all that I will not be climbing the vertical-stretch-of-muddy-torture-that-is-Lazy-Mountain again any time soon, if ever again at all.

I do not recommend it.  Scott actually took a lot of pictures of me towards the top of the mountain, but this is one of the only ones where I don't look thoroughly annoyed (i.e.  peeved) because I just wanted to go home.  I was tired and sore....and hungry.  I believe some "But I'm hungry" whimpering escaped my mouth several a few times.

Also, "I hate you" may have escaped Scott's mouth and been directed at me because I'm the one who suggested the hike.  It was said in love, of course.  

After we came back from what we thought would be a leisurely hike, I made steak salads.  Steak salads are amazing.  They don't make/sell/serve steak salads in Alaska.

Oh, but they serve them in Pennsylvania.  Everywhere.  With french fries and melted cheese and dressing on the side.  Oh my gosh, are they delicious. 

I saw a steak salad on a menu once here.  It was called a "Pittsburgh Salad".

I didn't add french fries and cheese to this salad simply because we didn't have any.  However, I highly highly recommend using both.  With ranch dressing or honey mustard on the side.



Grilled Steak Salads
serves 4

-1 lb. flank steak, marinated
marinade I used:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 T. grated ginger
2 cloves grated garlic

Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before grilling.  After grilling to your preferences, let it sit for about 5 minutes before slicing at an angle. 

-Caramelized onions...do not skip this.  It's too delicious to skip.
Thinly slice an onion and put in a frying pan on LOW heat with a tablespoon or two of butter.  Stir often, but let it cook for about 20 minutes.  You'll end up with sweet, crispy deliciousness. 

-Lettuce or spinach
-Tomatoes
-Carrots
-Cucumbers
-Peppers
-Whatever salad fixins' you prefer

-Dressing of your choice

-Highly recommended:
French Fries (baked or fried)
Shredded cheddar

Assemble and devour!

Shared at:
Fresh Food Friday
I Heart Naptime 
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
More the Merrier Monday 
Cast Party Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! I love salads (I know, I'm strange) This sounds delicious. If you get a chance I would love you to link your grilled steak salad up to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to stop by. See you there. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm...this sounds so good right now!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!