October 7, 2011

Candy Corn Cake Balls

I really wanted to make these candy corn cupcakes.  They're adorable.  Also, I was looking forward to trying the Perfect Cupcake Frosting.  I've been having issues with buttercream lately.  If there is anywhere that my skills are lacking, it's in the frosting department.  I need to practice.


I like mini-cupcakes, so I pulled out the mini-muffin pans and started layering in batter.  My good judgement took a back seat at this point (it was a Wednesday night, after all), and I filled them way too full.  They all rose and connected to each other while baking in the oven.  While they weren't burnt, there was no way to gracefully pull them from the pan.

Such an amateur, frustrating mistake.  I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture. 

Don't think that we wouldn't have eaten an entire pan of cupcake scraps.  I just knew that I had to rise above the temptation to do so. 

An opportunity to try cake balls (finally!) had presented itself.  It's funny how things like this work.

Don't worry.  I'll be trying the cupcakes, regular-sized ones, again soon.

(I obviously used my layered, overgrown mini-cupcakes, but the simplest way to make this cake would be to bake 1 yellow-colored 8 inch cake and 1 orange-colored 8 inch cake.)


Candy Corn Cake Balls
makes at least 3 dozen

2 8-inch cakes (one colored with orange gel food coloring and one colored with yellow gel food coloring)
1 1/2 cups vanilla or cream cheese frosting
1 package white candy melts or white almond bark (or white chocolate chips)
1 cup candy corn, for garnish

After baking your cakes according to the package directions, allow to cool completely.
In a large pan, crumble the cakes and mix in the frosting.  You will have one big sticky mess.

Roll into 1-inch balls and place in a covered pan in the refrigerator for a few hours or over night.

Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler.  Dip each cake ball in the chocolate, covering it completely.  Allow to dry/cool on wax paper.  Press a candy corn into the top of each cake ball before it cools. Store in the refrigerator.

Shared at:
Friday Food
Sweet Treats Thursday
Coffee and Conversation
Sweet Tooth Friday
Stuff of Success-Wed. Linkup Party
Sweets for Saturday
Strut Your Stuff Saturday
A Well-Seasoned Life 
Tuesday Talent Show
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Naptime Creations
Totally Tasty Tuesday 
Mushki Loves 
The Stuff of Success

18 comments:

  1. Clever mom! I bet my little goblins would love these. Thanks so much for sharing on Friday Food with Momtrends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! I love cake balls and candy corn! Stumbling this post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love candy corn and these look yummy! I am over from Something Swanky and you are Stumbled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY CUTE! STUMBLED FROM SOMETHING SWANKY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Stumbled from Something Swanky.

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! What a great way to salvage your mini cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable. STumbled over here from S.Swanky! New follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love these! So cute and creative. Stumbled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! So colorful, and they look totally delicious!

    Stumbling!

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job - cake balls are not easy. Stumbled\
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very clever! They ended up so cute. I linked to you from Sweet Indulgences Sunday. You have a great blog.I am a new follower. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! I am loving the candy corn colors lately!

    Thanks for linking up to Momtrends this week.

    ~Shannon, Food Channel Editor, Momtrends.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my yumminess! I love it when mistakes turn out awesome like this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! your cake balls look delicious and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! I love any excuse to eat candy corn. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I featured these cake balls on Mushki Loves today! Thanks for linking up!

    Have a great day!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!