January 20, 2012

Roasted Chickpeas

I don't know that I ever ate a chickpea before a year or so ago.  Then I really got into hummus.  As in, 2 tubs a week.  It was like a new, healthy chip 'n dip habit.  Much better than bar-b-que chips and french onion dip, yes?  It works with chips, vegetables, pita bread, or crackers. 

I discovered that chickpeas are in fact good for you.  There are now two kinds of beans I will eat.  Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and black beans.  Kidney beans still freak me out a little.

The list of foods I won't eat?

Salmon, hamburgers, tuna, salmon, meatloaf, clams, mussels.

Did I mention salmon?

I adore my paisley plates.

Roasted Chickpeas
inspired by this and this

1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
1/2 t. salt
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
2 T. olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  On a foil-lined baking sheet, spread out the rinsed and drained chickpeas.  Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the spices.  Toss to coat.  Cover the pan loosely with another piece of foil.  (I used a 9x13 cake pan)  The foil on top is important.  The chickpeas tend to "pop" out of the pan as they're roasting.  So unless you want chickpeas littering the bottom of your oven...

Bake for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned and a bit crunchy.  Toss them around every 10 minutes so they brown evenly.
Store in a tupperware container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.  Though, I must admit, they taste best right out of the oven.

Shared at:
Friday Food
Coffee and Conversation Thursday
Strut Your Stuff Saturday

2 comments:

  1. Yum! These look really tasty, and like a great "pseduo" healthy snack! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the more I read your blog the more I realize we have in common. Salmon? Barf. But these? I think I'd love them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!