June 20, 2012

Giant Apple Turnover

So, back at the end of May, I rushed myself into Target at 8:45am to buy Season 4 of True Blood.  I hadn't seen it yet.  I told myself I was going to be "good".  I was not going to watch it all in one day.  I was above that.

I watched it in two days.

Welcome to the life of a teacher in the summertime.

The day after I bought it, I watched up to episode #10 (out of 12) and thought, "Well, geez, might as well just finish it".  The same mentality applies when you eat all but 3 of the cookies in the package.  Might as well just finish it.

So that led to me, on the couch at 1am, finishing 12 consecutive episodes of True Blood.  My self-control, like with the cookies example, is quite pitiful.



It was still light out at 1am.

Then I couldn't sleep.

The next morning, I decided to go to pilates at 9:30.  When I came home, I wanted breakfast.  Running on less than 6 hours of sleep leads to bad decision-making for me.

I made this giant apple turnover and ate half of it for brunch.




Giant Apple Turnover
serves 2-4, depending on the size of the slices (if you want to have more, just use both of the refrigerated pie crusts in the package and double up on the apples)

1 refrigerated pie crust
2 large apples (I used Golden Delicious; Granny Smith would work well.)
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar

1 egg
1 T. granulated sugar

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Peel the apples and dice them into small pieces (you could also slice them as you would for pie).  In a bowl, mix apples, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice, and brown sugar.
Lay the pie crust flat on a greased cookie sheet.  Spoon the apple mixture onto one half of the crust.  Don't overfill it.  I had a few spoonfuls of apples leftover.  Fold the other half of the crust over the apple mixture and crimp/seal the edges together.  Cut a few slits in the top to let steam out as it bakes.
Beat the egg in a small bowl, and brush onto the top of the turnover.  Sprinkle sugar over the top.
Bake for 17-20 minutes.  I started checked at 15 minutes and pulled it out at 18 minutes.
Serve warm!

Shared at:
Crazy Sweet Tuesday

7 comments:

  1. still light out at 1am? ugh! that looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of an apple dessert for my blog today too, but was concerned, 1)it's not Fall, 2)apples aren't the fruit you see in abundance in the market, and 3)what message am I sending to those on the east coast that are experiencing upper 90s and humidity! However, I am drooling all over my keyboard wishing I could finish what you left of this apple turnover, so the decision is made.
    I was the same way when I bought a new Harry Potter book; there was work to be done, but I didn't care! Thanks for helping me to see I'm a little normal:-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your self control sounds almost as non-existent as mine :) And hey, you went to Pilates so it wasn't all bad decisions for you!

    p.s. - I could eat that entire turnover right now...it looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm hungry for apple turnovers...

    I see what I'm doing tonight now!

    Might have to add a simple glaze drizzled over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this kinda like when I tell myself I won't watch the entire fourth season of The Office or finish that bottle of wine in one day (rolling into night, hence the wine)?

    More importantly, every time you post a recipe for some sweet slice of heaven I tell my buddy who has a wicked sweet tooth and he just makes happy yum-yum sounds. It's pretty adorable actually, considering he's 6'5''.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's never a point to leaving 3 cookies, poor little guys just sitting there thinking they're not wanted. Sad times.

    Great recipe. Keep posting these delicious suckers, it's the only way I actually get in the kitchen haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I have way too much in common. Because I can seem myself doing all of this, turnover included.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!