December 3, 2012

Candy Cane Oreo Ice Cream



After the S'mores Ice Cream Incident of September 2012 (uh, I threw up), I banned myself from the ice cream maker I'd so expertly learned how to use.

When Scott returned home in November, he was curious as to why there was no homemade ice cream lying around.  Little did he know I'd been an ice-cream-making fool all fall long, had suffered the ramifications of my actions, and had successfully broken a bad, bad habit (much like the marshmallow addiction...2 months strong...).



So anyway.  Candy Cane Oreo Ice Cream it was.  I mentioned before that I really like lots of stuff in my ice cream.  I don't care about the quality of the milk, cream, or flavoring.  I want something to chew on.  So I added a whole package of Candy Cane Oreos to the recipe, aside from the six one I ate.

Candy Cane Oreo Ice Cream

2 cups chocolate milk (I used 1%)
1 T. + 1 t. cornstarch
1/8 t. salt
1/2 cup sugar

2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. peppermint extract
1 1/4 cups heavy cream

Candy Cane Oreos, smashed into pieces

In a large saucepan, combine the chocolate milk (all but 1 tablespoon), the salt, and the sugar.  Allow it to come to a boil and then let it boil (a rolling boil) for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. 
In a small bowl, whisk together that extra tablespoon (or so) of milk with the cornstarch.  Remove the milk mixture from the heat and whisk in the cornstarch/milk.  Return the pot to medium heat and let it come back to a boil, stirring constantly, for another minute (or until it's thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon). 
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, peppermint, and heavy cream.  Pour through a mesh sieve to catch any undissolved lumps.  Refrigerate the mixture for a few hours until cooled. 

Following the manufacturer's instructions, pour your cooled mixture into an ice cream maker.  Once its consistency is nearing that of soft ice cream, stir in the chunks of Oreos and let it stir to combine.  Once it's all mixed up, pour into a freezer safe container and store in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.

#YOLO Monday
Mingle Monday
Crazy Sweet Tuesday

11 comments:

  1. Making Ice Cream & eating it is definately addicting. The good news is that with my crew around there's no way I can overload on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg this sounds amazing! i wish i had an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made ice cream but would love to get an ice cream maker! This flavour sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I think if I had my own ice cream maker it would be daaaaaaangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing! I really need an ice cream maker asap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reminding me that I want an ice cream attachment for Christmas. And Candy Cane Oreos since I still can't find them here (I couldnt' even find them in Juneau...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drooling. On my keyboard. Gross. I have never tried making ice cream, but this looks amazing. Maybe Santa will bring me an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooooooooove this. Are you back to your addiction? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post. I needed ice cream since its been in the 70s in this foreign country called Oklahoma City. I despise the wind as much as you do. Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea, I'd be right with you on the vomiting fiasco. Especially with this recipe. I don't know that I'd be able to stop. Yikes. My mouth is salivating already.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!