March 29, 2013

Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats

I'm not messing around with this one.



I followed a recipe (that usually doesn't happen).  I made these particularly thick and chewy.  They were, hands down, the best rice krispy treats, I'd ever had.  I credit the frosting I mixed into the melted marshmallows.

I think I ate, maybe, 6 rice krispy treats in my entire life up until the summer of 2008.

At that point, I had just graduated college and was living at home.  In between job interviews, working at a bar, and pathetic attempts at trying to run, I started making rice krispy treats quite often.  I'm not sure where this came from, other than the fact that my mom kept very well-stocked cupboards, and there were always marshmallows and rice krispies available.  I made a pan at least a few nights a week and, if we're being honest, I ate most of it right out of the pot I stirred it up in.  I do that with no-bake cookies too.

I forgot about my deep-seeded love for the rice krispy treat until last spring when I started creating some new combinations.  S'mores, Funfetti, White Chocolate
But these ones?  They are the ultimate rice krispy treat.


Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats
From the back of the cereal box

1/2 cup yellow cake mix (or white, or funfetti, or whatever)
1/2 cup cream cheese frosting
1 10-oz bag mini marshmallows
4 T. butter
1 t. vanilla
6 cup Rice Krispy cereal

In a large saucepan, melt the butter.  Stir in the cake mix, cream cheese frosting, vanilla, and mini marshmallows. Mix well until the marshmallows have melted. 

Fold in the cereal until it's all covered with the marshmallow mixture.

Spread into an 8x8 pan for thick bars or a 9x13 pan for thinner ones.

Happy Rice-Krispy-Treat-Eating!

15 comments:

  1. Yum, try them with Lucky Charms sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, those sound sooooo good! I made "cake batter" rice krispie treats last year... but the recipe I tried didn't have frosting so the marshmallows + dry cake mix made them literally rock hard. I will have to try this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandmother and I always made rice krispy treats together. They are by far my favorite thing. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that would rather eat them warm right out of the pot then when they are set. I could eat a whole batch myself. I'm definitely going to have to try these. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I might make easter egg rice krispy treats for the holiday but that means actually having to find the time to do it! But they still look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing, my husband loves anything cake batter haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These would be gone in a second in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made the cake batter rice crispie treats before too and have to agree that they're amazing!! YUM.

    Did I read correctly that you used to make several pans PER week?? Hahahah! LOVE it :-)

    Happy weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am struggling to remember if I've ever actually made Rice Krispies treats. I've eaten a lot...but I don't think I've ever made them. Or muddy buddies or whatever they're called. Apparently I haven't lived...

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so I may be making a public proclamation about a deficiency in my upbringing but I'll just say it: I've never made rice crispy treats. I don't know what's wrong with me. BUT! Now that's about to change... Holy snapcracklepop I can't wait to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel myself gaining 20 lbs now that I know about these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am buying yellow cake mix for a Crock Pot dessert recipe I am making for Easter, so I will be picking up an extra pack, plus these ingredients, and giving this a try as well! :) I LOVE cake batter anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look phenomenal! I made some cake batter rice crispy treats a few months ago, and while they were good, I think these look better (the frosting mixed in is genius!). Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG those look amazing. dangerous but amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frosting in the treats? OMG I'm so stealing that idea...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I JUST finished making these, and they are setting as we speak! I have to admit that this is my very first homemade batch of Rice Krispy Treats that I have made on my own. I remember helping my Mom growing up, but I cannot figure out why I have not yet tried to make these on my own as an adult! They were so easy, and oh, my goodness, are they tasty! I ate a square while they were still warm and scraped all the marshmallow-y goodness from the bottom of the sauce pan before soaking it to wash! I think these will be gone by the weekend for sure (sooner if Shawn finds out I made them, but he's at work right now, so "shhh")! :)

    P.S. I didn't measure the amount of icing I put in. I just eye-balled it, and then, gleefully licked the spoon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!