March 30, 2015

Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork

Recipe challenge, week thirteen.


This is Scott's recipe.

He makes it when he wants to impress a group of people because people love BBQ. He would make it to take to work or potlucks often when we lived in Alaska.

One time, we had to go to a gathering at a major's apartment.  He was from Miami, so he knew what was good when it came to pork sandwiches.  This guy was Scott's boss and he had like 3 college degrees, and was working on his MBA.  He'd lived all over the world.  He also owned part of a coffee franchise in Florida.  This guy was going places.

I tell you this because he was in love with BBQ pulled pork.

Scott was involved in other conversations, so the major (I can't remember his name) kept coming back to me and saying how good it was.  He kept asking what was in it and whydidittastesogood?! and canyoubelievethisismy3rdsandwich?!.  It was pretty funny to me, because I kept saying, "It's just Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce! Really!"

The guy barely believed me.  We ended up leaving the leftovers (and the recipe) because he loved it so much.

I can tell you that it is a dish you start the night before, but it's almost hands off.  You do need to shred the meat, but it's so tender that it takes no effort.  I spent some time picking out the fat and draining it really well, but you don't need to do that.  Just pour the cooked meat into a strainer and then put it back into the crockpot with BBQ sauce.

Perfect for a potluck or picnic!

Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork
use a 6 quart crockpot

1 pork roast (1 to 2 pounds)
about 1 T. garlic powder (I did a little less of both of these spices..you can adjust to your tastes)
about 1 T. onion powder
1 large bottle Sweet Baby Ray's (I use Sweet and Spicy, but you can use whichever BBQ sauce you'd like)

Trim the fat from the roast.  If there's a bone in it, that's okay.  You'll just take it out after cooking.  Place it in the crockpot and sprinkle with onion and garlic powders. Cover completely with water and put the lid on.  Cook on low for 12 hours (overnight).  The good smell of cooking pork and garlic might keep you up all night.  That's what usually happens here.

In the morning, drain the liquid and shred the meat.  Pick out any fat or bones.  Add the BBQ sauce and stir.  Cook on low for another hour.

Serve on toasted rolls.  (I didn't have any, but I did freeze a giant bag of this pork for when I have company!)

11 comments:

  1. Weirdly, BBQ pork sandwiches have been my biggest American food craving since we moved here. I've never in my life made them, though I've eaten them occasionally at random potlucks but never really sought them out...my last meal in the USA was a BBQ pork sandwich at a grocery store in Hawaii and that's my theory why I crave them, just because it was the last thing I ate. So weird.
    But yeah, at the moment, if I could, I would totally make this recipe. :) They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite things to make in the crockpot! It's definitely a staple in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is all my mom does for hers as well, is pork and the same Sweet Baby Ray's. It's so simple, and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with pork in a crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love pulled pork recipes. We are all about Sweet Baby Ray's in our house,so excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite things to make and freeze. I've made my own BBQ sauce and nothing trumps Sweet Baby Ray's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks so amazing and easy - i have never cooked pork before. i might have to pin this for an upcoming bbq party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a good recipe. I'm definitely going to have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminds me, I have a pork roast to make into pulled pork...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I NEEDED this recipe!! Thanks!! :) Scott is not a huge fan of pork because it is always dry, but we both do like pulled pork, and I'm kind of obsessed with it right now. I also love that it needs a long time to cook because my work days are pretty long between work and the gym, so most crockpot meals I make cook way longer than necessary. So this is just perfect (and we love Sweet Baby Ray's!).

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!