September 30, 2011

Candy Corn Blondies

This.


Was going to go one of two ways.


Either it's a genius idea: candy corn in moist cake-like deliciousness.

Or the sugar content would send the consumer into diabetic shock.  The same sugar content would caramelize, stick to the pan, and become impossibly chewy.  With the ability to break one's tooth. 

I bought some candy corn last week.  By "some", I mean two large bags.

Then, after eating handfuls per day of pure sugar, I knew I had to get rid of it.

Candy corn, in case you haven't noticed, has a delightful buttery texture.  Very smooth.  Almost chewy.  It's amazing how such a thing can be done with just sugar.

I thought that it might do well in cake mix blondies, which are my new favorite thing.

It was definitely good.  They were moist and chewy and candy-ish.  Because I wanted to make them pretty (and because I was feeling ambitious on a Thursday night), I topped them with some orange buttercream.

'Tis the season for such embellishment, after all.


Candy Corn Blondies
makes an 8x8 pan

1 box white or yellow cake mix
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
up to 1/2 cup of milk (however much you need to make it into a thick batter)
1 cup of candy corn

Stir everything together in a mixing bowl.  Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick spray.  Spread the batter into the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  A little more, a little less depending on when the top gets golden brown.

Let cool completely (even refrigerate overnight), and then spread the top with 1 1/2 cups of buttercream.

After I frosted the blondies, I stored them in the fridge.  


Buttercream
Makes 2 1/2 cups

5 T. softened butter
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2-3 T. milk

Cream the butter, vanilla, and milk together.  Slowly incorporate the sugar.  If you need more or less, feel free to adjust.  Your desired consistency is what you're going for here.  Refrigerate any leftovers. 


After these had been eaten by people who were not me (I'm serious), and after I had eaten four three more handfuls of candy corn, I threw away the rest of the bag.  It's better that way.

Shared at:
Friday Food
Sweet Tooth Friday
Coffee and Conversation
Sweet Treats Thursday
A Well-Seasoned Life 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday
Mingle Monday at Add a Pinch
Makin' You Crave Monday 
Tuesday Talent Show
Tea Party Tuesday
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Totally Tasty Tuesdays





Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. So happy to have found you through Something Swanky. I'm from Pa too and I look forward to being your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from Something Swanky, and um, "Hi my name is Aimee and I LOVE candy corn!" I'm a follower, stop on over if you get a chance :)
    Aimee @ ShugarySweets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I want to try these, I love candy corn and blondies. I would love for you to share at my weekly linky fri-mon
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/09/any-linky-goes-17.html
    Come strut your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These looks amazing - so festive! I'd love it if you would add it to the {holiday sweet swap} I am hosting through Decemer 31st! Hope to see you there!

    http://shakentogether.blogspot.com/2011/09/holiday-sweet-swap-link-party-is-open.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look sooo good! Found you from Something Swanky, I'm your newest follower.

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, that looks fantastic! If you have the chance, come by & link this & anything else you have up at Makin' You Crave Monday over at MrsHappyHomemaker.com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so simple but oh so yummy! My husband hates candy corn though, so I'd have to give some away. I'm sure I could find some willing test subjects (:

    Thanks for participating in the Holiday Sweet Swap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I love candy corn a little too much. It probably has to do with the fact that you can only get it once a year. I took these to work to get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, these look amazing! I've been craving candy corn, but try to make myself wait till at least October!

    Thanks for linking up to MomTrends this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you had me at candy corn.....how great is this! Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! These look delicious! I would love for you to come link this and/or any other projects you have been up to at the Tuesday Talent Show! Hope to see you there!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a tiny bit will do the trick! Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! I love anything with candy corn in it! HA! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and share this yummy dessert with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! These look great! Thank you for sharing them at our Seasonal Inspiration party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just tried this the other weekend! I’m glad yours turned out well, because mine was a TOTAL fail! So much so, that I’m posting about it tomorrow! I’ll be linking over here to show how it’s done right! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!