January 17, 2012

Hershey's Kiss Cookies


We made these for our neighbors when we first moved to Alaska.  They sat in a tupperware container on my brand-new kitchen table in my lovely granite and stainless steel-adorned kitchen for a day or so (if you've been following along, you now know that I reside in a kitchen that is not like this).  Neither of us wanted to be the one to take them over to the neighbors and, heaven forbid, introduce ourselves properly.  (We're nice and awkward like that and let the record state that I usually end up being the grown-up in these situations.  Pouting as I go, of course.)

After a bit, I started picking at the cookies.  A Kiss here, a cookie chunk there.  Then he did.  Then he asked where the cookies for the neighbors were.  I pointed to the morsel he was shoving into his mouth.  After a brief hesitation, we just ate the rest of the cookies.

Like I said, we're nice like that. 

Original recipe credit is a must


Hershey's Kiss Cookies
from the Pennsylvania Grange Cookbook
makes about 3 dozen

1 1/4 cups flour
1 t, baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup Crisco
3/4 cup peanut butter (the more, the better)
1/2 cup white sugar, plus extra for rolling
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 T. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 bag Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped

In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream together the Crisco and sugars.  Add the egg, vanilla, milk, and peanut butter.  Beat well with an electric mixer to incorporate.  Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Roll dough into 1/2 Tablespoon-sized balls and roll in white sugar.  Place on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes.  Remove and press a Hershey's Kiss into the top of each cookie.  Bake for 2-3 minutes longer.  Remove and let cool for a minute before removing from baking sheet. 

Sharing at:  Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday 
Cast Party Wednesday
These Chicks Cooked
Frugal Food Thursday
Sweets for Saturday
Strut Your Stuff Saturday 

6 comments:

  1. You're funny - I'm much the same way. Happened at Christmas; one of the neighbors wasn't home...oops! I ate the cookies before I could redeliver. :) Thanks for sharing these on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog! I LOVE these cookies! And yeah for a fellow teacher! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just learned how to pin things so I pinned these! Are you on Pinterest yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these cookies too, they re addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS! Your recipe was one of the top 5 most viewed at CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY last week. Please come over, grab a button and party with us!
    ---Sheryl---
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?page_id=1844

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!