January 5, 2015

Baked Crab Dip

Recipe challenge, week one.  

There was a restaurant near our house in Alaska called Evangelo's.  It was an Italian place and surprisingly upscale for Wasilla.  We probably went there 4 times in 2 years and you're probably thinking, "Wow, it couldn't have been that good, Kristin, if you only showed up a handful of times".  But it was and the reason why we didn't go often is because we would start off with a baked crab dip and loaf of baguette.  And then I would usually follow that up with a calzone.  Not a meal you want to eat often, right?  Or maybe you do because it was that good.

Sometimes I still think about that place.  Almost in the same way I think about Vagabond Blues and their Greek wraps and all the fabulous sushi places and the Kaladi Brothers coffee they'd have in the staff lounge because Alaskans don't drink wimpy coffee.  And I think about my beautiful, like-new classroom that I had…and my shiny (albeit expensive) gym…and…well, then I get all nostalgic and I probably shouldn't think that way because there's no way I would make it through another winter in Alaska.  I just wouldn't.  If the darkness in December has affected me in Colorado, I don't think I'm made of tough enough stock for that nonsense anymore.


However, the point of this is to tell you that I made a fabulous crab dip and we enjoyed it on Christmas.  It would make a tasty addition to any party spread. The Superbowl maybe? Or those winter night get-togethers where you just want to supply some comfort food.  I used Wildtree Red Bell Pepper and Garlic Blend seasoning in this dip.  There are very few ingredients, including garlic and coriander. You could use any kind of seasonings, such as Old Bay.


We ate it with Club crackers but baguette would be amazing too.  I tried it with tortilla chips and it wasn't a good fit.  Go for crackers or bread.

Baked Crab Dip


Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: bake appetizer gluten-free
Ingredients (9 inch pie pan)
  • 1 block cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 ½ T. seasoning (I used Wildtree, but I would recommend 1 t. Old Bay + 1 t. garlic powder + 1/2 t. coriander)
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press or very finely minced
  • 1 cup shredded/diced crab meat
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything together with an electric mixer in a large bowl. I’m convinced this is the secret to getting a smooth dip: I use a handheld mixer. Spread into a pie plate-sized dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned on top.
Powered by Recipage

Many of you seemed excited by this challenge I'm attempting for the next 52 (now 51) weeks.  Do you have any recipe requests?  Any ideas I should try out?  I have a few that are ready to share, but I'll need more!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this sounds so freaking good! I think I have just the occasion in mind to try this! I think about Charlotte the way you think about Alaska sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the place I miss so much or how my life was when I was there. We could get real deep into that but it's a little early in the morning for self reflection right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sometimes I like crab dip, and sometimes it's too crabby if that makes sense? But I should try making it at home for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously wonder what the frack is wrong with Sitka. The restaurants pretty much suck and so does all the coffee. Why is the Anchorage area so much better!? I digress, sorry. I'm in an especially pissy mood about this town lately.

    But anyway, this crab dip looks amazing. Come make it for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, this sounds amazing! I love the combination of cream cheese and anything, and crab is definitely my favorite seafood. Good job completing week 1 of the recipe challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't reached the challenge yet, but using context clues I'm guessing sharing 52 recipes this year?

    I love crab dip. I'm sharing my recipe at some point this year - just went through my personal/family recipes this weekend to figure out which ones I should share on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds so good! i haven't ever had crab dip but it sure looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crab dip is heavenly!!! So pinning this for later on...when I get indulge again! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good!! My sister's friend sells Wildtree so I might have to pick up some of that seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words cannot express how much I love crab dip!! Sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion, anything with crab is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds amazing!! I think I could live on dip. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!